Oakland Yellowjackets March Meeting Minutes 3/15/2017
10 people in attendance plus three representatives from Ride for a Reason
1. Ride for a Reason- This fully supported ride from Oakland to Sacramento is now in its 9th year. This year’s ride will be on April 29. Proceeds will go to help seven Oakland public schools pay for enrichment programs such as art and music classes. Ride options include 120, 109, and 68 mile rides.
There will be a rally in Sacramento in support of public education, and bus rides will be provided to bring cyclists and their bikes back to Oakland.
Registration is $90. until April 01, when the cost goes up to $120. They are also looking for people who are interested in volunteering as SAG drivers or as rest stop workers. For more info., go to rideforareason.dojiggy.com.
Our club has donated money to this event in the past, and we plan to do so again this year. The amount we will donate was not decided upon.
2. Kickoff Ride- The 2017 Kickoff Ride will be held on April 15. Our route will be the traditional leisurely ride to Alameda and back, with a picnic at Lake Merritt after the ride. Thanks to Len and Craig for once again volunteering to be in charge of the rest stop and snacks at the Alameda turn-around point. Fred will ask president emeritus Al Joseph if he would like to be in charge of the registration table at the Lake.
We discussed ways to publicize this event:
Robin will make up flyers that we can distribute to local bike shops. We can inform other bike groups such as East Bay Bike Coalition and WOBO about our ride. We can post the event on social websites such as Next Door and craigslist. We can publicize the ride on KQED Radio and in East Bay Express.
3. 2017 Ride Schedule- Thanks to Dan for putting together our ride schedule. It will be posted soon on the OYJ website. The severe winter weather has provided some unexpected challenges; 6 of our 31 routes currently have road closures. We will monitor the situation and make necessary revisions if the road is still closed when the ride date is at hand.
4. Finances- Our new treasurer Leslie informed us that the club has $4,800. in the bank. We can expect that we will have closer to $6,000. after everyone pays his/her dues.
Webmaster Dale told us that of 174 members, 53 of us have paid. Please go online to our website and pay your annual $30. dues, if you have not yet done so.
5. Lastly, we spent some time discussing the topic of ride leaders for the Light and Humane groups, but came to no conclusions.
Our next meeting will be on April 12, three days prior to the Kickoff Ride. Meeting location to be determined.
Thanks to Dale and Carrie for hosting the March meeting at their home, and, along with Paul, for providing cookies.
Laurie Nielsen, secretary